Monday, February 14, 2011

My Beloved

Nine years ago tonight Greg asked me to marry him. After the initial surprise, you see this was our first valentine's day together and marriage had never been discussed, I was thrilled to accept his proposal.
As we sat there, in his living room, making "plans for our future", we discussed things like being able to grocery shop together and cook dinner every night together. By the way this happened the week we returned from our honeymoon and maybe once a year since. However, it was the future we saw in the simplest of acts. Nothing had yet become complicated or hard. We did not think of new jobs, more school, and certainly not infertility; we thought about more time together.

And poor Greg, he has never really been able to top that first valentine's day together, after all how do you top a diamond ring and a promise of forever. But this year, he just may have done it, topped that day 9 years ago. Because this year he has given me the gift of being a mother. With this gift I have the opportunity to watch him with David. He will do anything for our son, he is a hands on Dad, and David absolutely LOVES his Daddy. Isn't this what everyone would want for their child, a loving playful father. It is the simple again that is the gift.
As we sat there on that couch nine years ago I did not think I could love Greg anymore than in that moment. I was very mistaken, I think my love grows each day that I see my husband with his son and my son with his father.



Happy Valentine's day to my two favorite valentines!
"Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle." - Amy Bloom

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very heartfelt Valentine's Day memory. And, a lovely family story. Think about 40 years.....
    Love, Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete